Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Veloster Forum and Hyundai Veloster community dedicated to Hyundai Veloster owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Veloster Forum today!

Hyundai Veloster earns 2019 Top Safety Pick award

VelosterN

Administrator
Reactions
D709J-4XUAAz_kf.jpg large.jpg
The 2019 Hyundai Veloster, a small car, is the latest vehicle to earn a Top Safety Pick award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The award applies to Velosters with specific headlights that were built after August 2018.

Despite overall good crashworthiness, one IIHS test uncovered a problem with the driver-side door. Hyundai has addressed the issue in Velosters built after January 2019 and has initiated a recall on cars produced before the change.

The Veloster, which was redesigned for 2019 after a one-year absence from the market, has an unusual door configuration, with two conventionally hinged doors on the passenger side and only one door on the driver side. In the first of two side tests, the driver door opened during the crash, which could lead to occupant ejection in a crash. Hyundai modified the door beginning with models built after January, and in a second side crash test the door stayed closed. Velosters built before Hyundai began implementing these modifications on the production line must have the recall completed to qualify for the Top Safety Pick award. The recall applies to models built before February.

The Veloster earns an acceptable rating for the premium headlights that come on the Turbo, Turbo Ultimate and Turbo R-Spec trims of vehicles built after August 2018. Earlier models created excessive glare for oncoming drivers and earn a poor rating. The Veloster's base headlights also earn a poor rating.

The Veloster earns superior ratings for both its standard and optional front crash prevention systems, both of which avoided collisions in IIHS track tests at 12 mph and 25 mph. Only the optional system, however, includes a forward collision warning component that meets criteria set by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

To qualify for a 2019 Top Safety Pick award, a vehicle must earn good ratings in the driver-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraint tests, as well as a good or acceptable rating in the passenger-side small overlap front test. It also needs an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention and a good or acceptable headlight rating.

Coffeeman

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Veloster N, Base
I wish my Base N came with the standard Driver Assistance Package. Especially Blind Spot Monitoring. Those rear pillars are pretty big. Honda also is leaving these Driver Assistance safety features off its Type R. I guess they figure that the people who buy these two cars are crazed Richard Petty wannabes, who are otherwise disinterested in those pansy safety measures. I'm 70, and my 2019 Golf R has a complete set of safety assistance measures (sometimes it seems like it has too many. There seems to always be some alarm sound that I need to attend to). I, for one, would love my Veloster with standard driver assistance features. Willing to pay more. Don't mind the extra weight. Hyundai, are you listening?